Hill Leys was commissioned by Seymour Ashwell, possibly for his retirement. It was designed by Swingen Harris and may have been completed after Ashwell’s death in 1901. The inscription in Latin on the front means ‘A mind that is conscious in its own right.’
The house was initially occupied by the Misses Ashwell, daughters of Seymour Ashwell. They moved to Buckingham after the Second World War, in 1952 or 1953. Bertie Allen then bought the property.